Roger and I have begun preparing a series of posts focusing on donor acquisition.
Here is a list of topics we plan to cover … although perhaps not as systematically as this outline might suggest. We’ll probably jump around as events, bloggers and our readers inspire us.
1. Investing — What should you pay? … How much should you spend? … How to assess/calculate donor value … Any rules of thumb … Transparency
2. Metrics — Measuring/evaluating results … Knowing and acting on what works
3. The Product — Thinking about what are you selling … Differentiation … Branding … Weighing the competition … Gaining visibility
4. Structuring overall plan — Timing, testing and rollout
5. Targeting — Why/how? … Knowing your audience … Relevant research … New tools … Lapsed donors
6. The channel/medium –
- Mail — Is mail prospecting working these days? … For whom/in what circumstances?
- Online prospecting — Email … Traffic conversion … Social media … Online video … Online tools/mechanics
- Other methods?
- Integrated marketing
7. Offers — Premiums … Testing … Payment options … Lead generation as a two-step strategy
8. Generic principles about communicating with prospects — Don’t blame/whine, Credible actions, Program results, Testimonials, Urgency, Story-telling, etc
9. Creative — Any ‘givens’? … Testing, including new tools … Carriers … Components … Structure … Signers (same for online)
Plenty to keep us busy for a year or two.
We’d welcome your comments regarding priorities amongst these topics … or other acquisition issues you’d like us to address.
Tom & Roger
This article was posted in: Acquisition, direct mail, direct marketing, Don't Miss these Posts, email marketing, fundraising, marketing metrics, nonprofit management, online fundraising, telemarketing.
You can follow any responses to this entry through the RSS 2.0 feed.
You can leave a response, or trackback from your own site.